Monday 30 January 2017

Comforting Lies We Tell Ourselves

There is a childhood dream that many of us cherish. It could be to do something exciting and physically demanding, or give a public performance of a talent. The point is not to crystallize the goal, but to see why we have done nothing to make it a reality as yet.

A man I know wants to learn how to play the drums. He's often told me about this dream. Each time I ask him to do something about it, he says he has no time. I got the details of classes being run on weekends in his neighbourhood, and still he couldn't bring himself to join them.

I'm too old to do this.
I don't have the time to do this right now.
It's actually not worth the time and effort I will need to put in.
Can I afford to pay so much for an activity which is not essential?
It makes no difference if I follow my dream as it's not going to change my life.

These are common lies that we tell ourselves when we don't follow our dreams. They may seem very rational and reasonable, but they are killing your inner child. They are reinforcing the belief that you are not worthy. That you don't deserve happiness.

Call to Action

Make a list of all the things that you love to do. It could be something you do everyday or an activity that you have not performed in years. Just keep writing it all down till you have exhausted your brain. If something occurs to you later, keep adding to the list.

Now analyse the list for things that you can do but have been holding back from doing due to various lies you have told yourself. Most often you will find that no one is stopping you from doing things you love, but yourself.

Now pick out at least five things from the list that you can easily do. Over the period of the next week try and do one of these things each day. You will find your inner child coming out to play. You will be in a better mood, and you will feel loved.

I wish you honesty at every step.
Love and light, always
Cashmere

No comments:

Post a Comment